Ordeal Weekend Information for 2019There are 4 Induction Weekends - click a weekend for a registration link
From our Lodge Chief
Recently you were elected by members of your unit to become eligible for membership in the Order of the Arrow. The Order of the Arrow is a service organization dedicated to four purposes: Recognition of scouts and scouters who best exemplify the scout oath and law, development of camping traditions and spirit, promotion of the camping program and developing habits of helpfulness and leadership in scouts. Your election provers that you live up to the Scout Oath and Law and that you are indeed an honored camper. I offer you congratulations on behalf of your chapter and Tahosa Lodge. However, before becoming a member you must first undergo an Ordeal to test your worthiness. I look forward to getting to know you and welcoming you into our honored Order! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Yours in the Brotherhood,
2019 Lodge Chief
What is the Induction Weekend
Recently elected candidates must attend one of the three offered Induction Weekends to complete their induction into our order as an Ordeal member.
Ordeal Candidate Cost for 2019
COST: The weekend costs $50* for the Ordeal Candidate, which covers your 2019 OA dues, the cost of the weekend (camping fee, food, insurance) and all of your new member materials (OA Sash, lodge pocket flap, OA pocket ribbon, and OA handbook). *sign up early and save $5 – see Upcoming Events on the home page for livks.
If you have any questions or missed the registration deadline a pay at the door option is available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT MEDICAL INFORMATION: When you register, download the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record Form and the Over the Counter Medication Form. Bring these forms (with signatures) as well as a front and back copy of your family health insurance card with you to check in. Bring all medications you are currently taking. All medications must be checked in to the medic for the weekend. Our medical team will be onsite all weekend. We keep health forms on file for a year. Do Not Bring your original health form, you won’t get it back.
Schedule for the Weekend
SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEKEND: Check-in will be between 6pm – 7:30pm on Friday evening (Peaceful Valley, check-in at Headquarters; Camp Tahosa, check-in at the dining hall). Pick up is at 10:00 am on Sunday. Candidates should plan on staying at camp until check out. (unless religious obligations require otherwise). Make sure you eat before arriving, there will be no dinner served on Friday night.
What do I need to bring?
WHAT TO BRING: Here is the list of what you will need for the weekend. There will be some hiking involved, so packing these items in a backpack is suggested. Arrive at camp Friday evening in your work clothes and a warm jacket with the following items:
- BSA Medical Form with parent signatures (for those under 18 years old) and a copy of family health insurance card
- Backpack – with gear loaded
- Sleeping bag (appropriate for weather)
- Pad (self-inflating or closed cell foam)
- Ground Cloth – tarp (at least 7’ x 9’)
- Canteen / Water bottle
- Work Clothes (wear these to the event and be prepared to have them stained, painted on, etc.)
- Work Gloves (leather recommended)
- Clothes appropriate for the weather (both day and night) Be Prepared – It is Colorado and we have experienced all 4 seasons in a weekend!
- Rain Gear
- Sun screen
- Personal grooming items
- (toothbrush, towel, soap, etc.)
- Small notepad and pen
- Daypack for use on Saturday – can be left in tent Friday evening.
- Tent (for Saturday night) and a second ground cloth – tarp so you can set up your tent Friday night (if you want to share a tent with a friend that is fine)
- Complete Class A uniform (MB Sash not necessary) can be left hanging in your tent. It will be worn for Saturday dinner and evening activities.
- Optional: money/credit or debit cards for lodge trading post purchases
WHAT NOT TO BRING: electronic games, radios, watches, speakers, etc. We know you will have a cell phone – please be respectful and keep it off in your backpack – no music and headphone use.
MONEY: you won’t need any money for the weekend once you register online, the Tahosa Lodge trading post will be open on Saturday night if you are interested in purchasing any lodge items (patches, shirts, hats, etc.) Credit and Debit cards are also accepted.
QUESTIONS: For more information about the ordeal weekend and to answer any questions, contact our help desk
Emergency Camp Contacts at PV and Tahosa
CAMP CONTACTS: In the event of an emergency and you need to contact your scout at camp please contact the below individuals. Cell service is spotty and often unavailable. Camp Tahosa has virtually no cell service!
Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch – Scott Field (Peaceful Valley Ranch Superintendent) 720-841-6887
Camp Tahosa – Marc Lyman (Tahosa Ranger): 303-440-4040